This is the world’s largest grass-root refinery with 615,000 bpd capacity. The refinery will have high flexibility as it is designed to process various types of Kuwait crude including the Kuwait Heavy Crude (KHC) oil, which will be produced according to KPC upstream strategy. It will provide mainly clean fuel oil to the power plants; and an expansion plan to full conversion is considered as a suitable option.
Aims of the Project
This strategic project will utilize Kuwait Heavy Crude (KHC) and other types of crude to supply the power stations with clean fuels (less than 1 % of sulphur content).
Aims of the Project with the following :
- Located at Al-Zour area, 90 km south of Kuwait.
- Occupies 16 Sq. km.
- The land was reformed by transferring sand from the sea bottom and compacted.
- State of the art technologies are utilized. An Electric Network for Monitoring & Control (ENMC) to achieve better management.
- Facilities for export of solid materials and artificial island for liquid products.
- The project is divided into 5 packages awarded to 4 alliances.
- Full commissioning is expected in 2023
- Ensures a secure and stable supply of clean fuel supply to the power stations
- Will create some 1,000 job opportunities for Kuwaiti nationals
- Kuwait private sector will have the chance to share in this national effort and gain rare technical experience
Green Features of Al Zour Refinery
At KIPIC, it is one of our top concerns to integrate Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) into all aspects of our work environment. Therefore, we invest great resources to ensure the creation of a workplace that is safe for both: our employees and the environment.
Strict safety measurements are followed and carefully infused into our culture to create a level of awareness thus, minimising risks.
We contribute to the safety of our environment by:
- Recycling and reusing wastewater
- Controlling emissions and monitoring ambient air by using special systems
- Using smoke-free and low-noise flares